Wednesday, September 13, 2017

"bipolar" is not an adjective!


I hear it everywhere I go. People using the word "bipolar" to describe things like the weather, animal behaviors, cars - you name it. And I wonder, how do these people not know IT'S NOT OKAY to use this word in such a way?



Bipolar disorder affects 2.6% of the country, roughly 5.7 million Americans (National Institute of Mental Health). Bipolar disorder is a brain disorder that affects a person's ability to regulate their own emotions. It is characterized by 2 phases - the manic phase and the depressive phase.

During mania, people diagnosed with bipolar disorder tend to behave in manners that draw negative attention, which unfortunately leads to these being highly publicized. Troublesome behaviors can lead to psychosocial trauma and issues with health, relationships, and even the law.

During depression, people diagnosed with bipolar disorder are at a high risk for suicide. In fact, approximately 50% of persons with bipolar disorder were found to have a history of a suicide attempt (Dilsaver, Psychiatric Times). People with bipolar disorder are known to attempt suicide and succeed at a rate of 1 in 5 attempts (National Institute of Mental Health). The Center for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 113 people complete suicide each day, which is 1 every 13 minutes!

Bipolar disorder IS NOT an adjective. It is not a laughing matter. It is not a joke. It is not make-believe. It is a real disorder that threatens the lives of millions every day. It is a crippling disorder that prevents people from leading meaningful lives. According to the World Health Organization, bipolar disorder is the 6th leading cause of disability worldwide!

I am not bipolar. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I live with bipolar disorder. But I am not my disorder. And yes, I DO take offense when you call me "bipolar." I don't care who you are and what you mean to me, if you refer to me as "bipolar," I will think less of you and be less likely to trust your judgment.

It IS NOT OKAY to call someone "bipolar."

It is a reference people make when they are attempting to be hurtful. I cannot ignore it and I will not tolerate it because "that which you tolerate, you teach."

The use of the word "bipolar" as a mere adjective perpetuates the stigma of mental health and dilutes the seriousness of the disorder.

If you have good intentions, make it a priority to get rid of this word from your vocabulary. It's simple! Use another word, such as "unpredictable," "ever-changing," or "unsteady."




No comments:

Post a Comment