Thursday, June 11, 2020

Med trial

So, I'm still slowly tapering off of one medication which I've been on for a long time. And I'm increasing my dose of the new medication. I haven't noticed a change so far but we shall see. My nurse practitioner also changed my sleep medication to a longer-acting med to see if that will keep me asleep at night because I've been waking up between midnight and 2AM wide awake with anxiety!

This is just a reminder that meds often need to be tweaked. Whether it's because your body has grown tolerant to a certain medication, your body chemistry has changed over time, or because of circumstances that cause you to be especially triggered, such as in an acute episode. I think my situation is a combination of all 3 of those things and I'm hoping these changes will garner results.

In my blog, you will notice that I don't mention names of medications I'm taking. That is not because I'm secretive or don't want my business out there. It's intentional. I don't like to recommend medications to people because 1. another person's body might not respond to a medication the way mine does and 2. I'm not a doctor and cannot prescribe medications to someone.

While it's great to be knowledgeable about the options out there and it's a good idea to bring your own ideas to your provider, some providers may find it offensive when you recommend a treatment for yourself. But it's best to be your own advocate! When it comes to mental health, you cannot afford not to be aware of the options for treatment. You should be just as much a partner in the decision-making as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment