Thursday, February 4, 2021

Meet me in the middle

This post is coming 2 days after symptoms have improved. I have been feeling much more even for the last 2 days. Back to baseline for the most part. There's always 1 or 2 kinks in the mix but I feel like I'm past this cyclic episode.


What I've learned and/or changed this last month:

1. I need to ensure I'm getting enough sleep!

2. I need to avoid any triggers of anxiety.

3. When my anxiety starts, do a grounding exercise, pray, read Scripture, and/or look for positivity memes and quotes online. Listening to relaxing or uplifting and inspiring music at the same time can help. This gets my mind back on track for a moment.

4. Then I have to get up and do something! Anything will do but something that can be done with my hands is best. Examples include blogging, organizing, folding laundry, cooking, arts/crafts, sewing, etc. If I try to read, watch TV, or listen to music on its own, I will spiral out of control into the world my anxiety creates in my mind.

5. And most importantly - because none of this will work unless I do this consistently and repeatedly - challenge my thoughts!


Although the exercises and activities might be a little different, this is exactly how I deal with my depression. I think most people forget that they have to also challenge their thoughts. It's easy to do when you're caught up in the whirling dervish that is the anxious mind.

Here are some questions to ask yourself when feeling anxious:
Is this a real or perceived threat?
Is this something I can control?
If I cannot control it, what purpose does it serve to worry about it?
If I can control it, what am I doing about it?
How am I really feeling about this concern?
What can I do right now to make myself feel better?
What is preventing me from doing this?


I find that if my worry serves a purpose, that I need to funnel my energy into it rather than worrying about it. For example: if you worry about your child getting into a car accident/hit by a drunk driver, get involved with MADD (mother's against drunk driving). Much like when someone has a traumatic experience and later becomes involved in organizational efforts that champion those causes. Do it pre-emptively!

No Thought Left Behind

With anxiety comes all of the negative self-talk which needs to be challenged as well. You will find it easier to do this as you practice it daily. The more often you do this, the better because it does not come naturally to most to speak positive words over yourself. As they say, we are our own worst critics. Negative chatter in our minds is detrimental and causes so many distressing emotions, making life insufferable. I'd like for you to follow this link, take a minute, and read more about positive thinking from the Mayo Clinic: Click Here.

Starting each day with 1 positive thought can get your day off on the right foot, changes your attitude, and gives you a better perspective. I like to start my day with a thought of gratitude such as a "Thank you" prayer. I prefer to practice gratitude at the beginning of the day because it does frame my thoughts throughout the day. You can keep a gratitude journal. Journaling helps to reflect on positive things that happened to you throughout the day and even make a bullet list of things you're grateful for.

Please see my previous posts about positive psychology for more information about this topic.

Bottom line is that I need to keep on keepin' on challenging these negative thoughts that play on a constant loop in my mind. I'm getting there...

No comments:

Post a Comment