Sunday, November 13, 2011

Massage Experience part II

To continue from the previous post about my massage experience...

I had a follow-up session with the same therapist. Prior to the massage, I was experiencing mild-moderate pain in my upper shoulders/back, stiffness in my neck and shoulders, a dull aching in my lower back, and a reasonable level of anxiety. We tried a slightly different approach... starting with a large heat pad on the upper back/shoulders simultaneously with guided imagery and reiki. The session progressed with back massage and ended with reflexology, as did last time.

The emotional impact didn't seem to be quite as stunning this time, perhaps because I was already feeling distraught when I walked through the doors. But overall, I did feel much less pain and slightly less anxiety when I left. Immediately, there was relief in the areas of tension and pain. I felt as though the relief experienced was having a profound effect on my current stress level, but without the prolonged effects that I experienced last time.

It is typical for me, that my body will become very anticipatory in regards to physical touch. I strongly believe that the guided imagery was an excellent way to evoke the emotional response to correlate with touch and produce a more powerful, lasting effect. While the hot pack did garner extreme comfort and was soothing, it felt like the stimulation from it was contending with my ability to focus my thoughts on the guided imagery. In hind sight, I would prefer to have a soothing, comforting experience near the end of the session, to further calm me before leaving.

The reflexology was wonderful, once again, but it felt too brief, transition to it was slightly abrupt, and it ended in a way that it felt like the sequence got interrupted. That is what happens when time runs out... and although as a client, we hope it never will... a massage just cannot go on forever! If it did, we would not experience the profound effects in each session. We would grow immune to the healing touch... or would we?!

I believe this to be my last experience this year with massage. I strongly feel that continuing with massage therapy is the best option for my well-being right now. I do not anticipate that every person will experience the same results, but I do know that it is very powerful and very healing IF you are prepared to be healed.

With that in mind... please begin to see yourself being healed and believe that, although your symptoms may persist, you CAN become better equipped to handle them... it takes time, willingness, effort, and determination... but you CAN experience periods of symptom-free, stress-free, soothing, enjoyable relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment