Friday, June 22, 2012

A blurb about the stigma surrounding mental illness

In my journey, I have found that when we feel shame in our diagnosis it merely fuels others and may even prompt them to also feel ashamed of us and/or our diagnoses. When you have respect for yourself and life in general, you make it your responsibility to learn about your diagnosis and implement that which you learn so dogmatically that others are forced to either respect you by giving you their full support or show their disregard for you by (sometimes begrudgingly) exiting your life.

If we realize OUR ROLE in this process, it can REDUCE stigma significantly (especially the stigma we each personally experience from those in our surroundings). Our own perceptions and behaviors regarding diagnoses make a HUGE difference in the IMPACT that diagnosis may have on those in our lives AND OTHERS in society at large.

Be proud of who you are (human, like the rest of the world)...
Be secure in where you're headed (recovery!)...
And take responsibility "after the fact" (of being diagnosed) to increase your abilities to cope - not only with your symptoms, but also the stigma-enhancing attitudes of society.

KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!


Take the Pledge to help end the stigma!

http://www.bringchange2mind.org/page/s/pledge

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog entry. I agree. I feel this speaks to anyone with any sort of health problem. There really is stigma surrounding most health issues. I know there is for people with Cystic Fibrosis. So even though I'm not in your shoes exactly, I'm in a similar brand :-) Keep blogging, you are a great blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've been reading your blog posts every other day or so, too. I get them sent to my e-mail :) I have yet to watch the video of you singing in your vest.....

    ReplyDelete