Friday, July 6, 2012

Nostalgia


There are a few fine memories that I've made so far in my life, memories that I hold onto because they bring me great joy in remembering. I've talked a lot recently about moving forward into the future and not holding onto the past. Which is why I also felt it is so important to bring up the subject of nostalgia and discuss why nostalgia can be comforting, especially to those of us living with a mood and/or behavior disorder.

In fact, nostalgia can be very therapeutic in nature. Scientific studies have investigated the psychological effects of nostalgia. One article published by Medical News Today in December of 2008 states that "nostalgia can promote psychological health. Inducing nostalgia... [results] in overall positive feelings... including higher self-esteem and an increase in the feeling of being loved and protected by others.... Another important function of nostalgia may be in providing a link between our past and present selves - that is, nostalgia may provide us with a positive view of the past and this could help to give us a greater sense of continuity and meaning to our lives." Click here to see the whole article.

Additional research, conducted by Loyola University, suggests that it is beneficial to be nostalgic daily. An article published in Psychology Today in 2005 purports that "[t]hinking of good memories for just 20 minutes a day can make people more cheerful... and happier than if they think of their current lives." See the entire article here.

This article was particularly interesting to me and fit my mindset exactly when I sat down to write this blog tonight. The researchers suggest "For best results... [reminisce about positive memories] in your head rather than on paper... [A] large body of research... shows that [ruminating about unpleasant life events] re-traumatizes you, whereas analyzing them through writing helps you get past the trauma." This is exactly what I have set out to do recently in my blog - analyze my experience of early sexual abuse by writing about it. I find great relief in knowing that my continued support of journaling for stress relief is sound. I plan to continue utilizing this recovery tool to get past some of the traumatic events I've experienced in my life and also as a means of looking forward to the future. For the benefit of my readership, I chose to reiterate the article's instructions of how to include reminiscence into your daily life. (see below)

"You don't have to wait for nostalgia to strike. These steps can help make it a regular part of your life.

Make a list of cherished memories.
To jog your memory, find some photos or other mementos from good times past.
Close your eyes to block distractions. Then think about what's outside the "picture frame" to bring back subtle details. Mental imagery produces greater happiness gains than does simply looking at old photographs.
If possible, reminisce with people from your past. It strengthens close relationships.
As you go about your life, sock away good moments and mementos for later reminiscence. Take a mental snapshot and hold on to that feeling."

~ borrowed from Psychology Today, written by: Marina Krakovsky


Here is another article that I found very interesting.



My Cherished Memories
(a partial list)


Going to the fireworks with my best friend, Kristy, in 2007. We were sitting so close to the Illinois River that when the fireworks lit up the sky, they were SO HUGE above us and encircled us. It felt like we were "inside" of a bubble with our own private firework display. It was awesome!

Sitting in front of an empty storefront at Peru Mall with a friend, pretending that the glass doors were the TV screen and we were Beavis and Butthead. People stared at us, they probably thought we were under the influence, but we were just having an innocent, good time!

Watching my son listen to music from his iPod on the train, on our way to the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago. He was so cute, bobbing his head, smiling like he didn't have a single thing to worry about... it made me feel so lucky to have him in my life.

More to come later...


No comments:

Post a Comment