Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Developing Theory About Modern Cases of Bipolar Disorder



As many people know, I have been developing a theory of my own about bipolar disorder. These days, it is so readily diagnosed in the U.S. I do not disagree with the diagnoses, per se, but I do believe that there are 2 ways the illness can perpetuate throughout society: genetically and through social conditioning.

Social conditioning manifests a wide variety of symptomology and, much like the Pavlovian theory of classical conditioning, it is a "phenomena characterized by a process of inherited tradition[s] and gradual cultural transmutation[s] passed down" (WIKIA) including how we react (or desist from reacting) to stressors.

Considering all things equal - how an individual learns to cope with stress is just as much a learned trait as brushing our teeth daily, how to enjoy music, what kind of music we like, etc. We all fall subject to the conditioning of our parents as children, and as adolescents and young adults, we are also heavily influenced by our cohorts. As adults, we inherit the right to make our own choices. The sad fact is that at this point, most of us have either made the choice to CHOOSE our habits & behaviors or merely CONTINUE in the habits & behaviors we were conditioned from birth.

This does not necessarily mean that we should continue to BLAME our parents for our continued mistakes. On the contrary, as adults, we have the choice to change our attitudes, alter our habits, and modify our behaviors.

However, as a parent, I realize how important this is for my parenting style. What I teach my child - how I teach him to cope with disappointment plays a LARGE ROLE in his social and psychological behaviors and habits. Therefore, he will learn how to cope in ways that I am modeling. If, the second I face an unsettling circumstance, I become immediately upset and react to the situation, he will learn to do the same. If I take a few deep breaths, mull over possible outcomes and choices, and then exercise my right to make a choice (rather than just getting flustered and angry), I am modeling good coping skills for him to learn.

My theory is that there are SO MANY people diagnosed with bipolar disorder NOWADAYS because we live in a society where people want it "my way or the highway." This kind of thinking has led us to be a "throwaway generation" where we view ideas, things, and people as replaceable and not having any real value. This way of thinking has conditioned our children to be less tolerant and, in turn, less able to cope with disappointments.

I'm not trying to take away from the fact that bipolar disorder is a genetic disease passed down from one generation to another, usually from the mother to the child. I am, however, encouraging you parents out there to take immediate action and consider the difference you can make in your child's life!

As a parent, please take seriously the manner in which you deal with disappointments! If your child does not learn from you, who will teach them? And whether you are actively teaching them or not, you are modeling behaviors for them that will shape their future choices and behaviors. Does this make you question your habits and priorities? I hope so. Make a difference in the life of your child and perhaps we will save one person from being diagnosed with a "conditioned" mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment