Wednesday, May 27, 2020

A big blue hump

Today, I'm in a slump. It's a bit of a big blue hump day for me. But I realized around 1pm that I had forgotten to take my morning meds. I hate when that happens (and it doesn't happen very often). I have come to recognize that when I'm feeling a bit down it's because I've forgotten. Or something has triggered me - one of the two.

I want to speak to those of you who do take daily psychiatric meds. As of 2016, 1 in 6 Americans take some form of psych meds. And while that's an alarming amount, it's probably not nearly enough considering that 1 in 4 (adult) Americans suffers with a mental illness. This does not include adolescents and children (and yes, they too take psych meds).

I find that people tend to feel ashamed of not only their diagnosis of a mental illness but also their need to take psychiatric medications. I want to be the first to say - THERE IS NO SHAME IN TAKING PSYCH MEDS. In fact, I'd rather take psych meds than not... BTDT!

There are a lot of factors to consider when taking psych meds.

Below is a list of some of the common detractors:
Side effects such as nausea, weight gain, and adverse reactions (among others)
Inconvenience (time of day is not ideal, etc.)
Cost (some psych meds cost more than $1k per month!)
Route (oral - difficulty swallowing, injection - fear of needles/pain)
Stigma

There is a genetic testing that will now help identify some medications in each class which *might* work well for you. There isn't a lot of research about it, but what's out there looks somewhat promising. The test is completed by collecting an oral swab sample and sent to a lab for processing. The test is generally not covered by insurance, although more and more insurance companies are covering it these days. Most people report that they paid approx. $300 as their portion and the insurance covered the rest (it's a very expensive test).

This is good news for those who do not want the hassle of the trial and error that often comes with introducing psychiatric medications as part of the treatment of a mental illness. I suggest asking your psychiatrist or nurse practitioner about your options for genetic testing and if it is a service they provide.

As for me, I will spend this dreary, rainy evening in reflection. Reflection is a great coping skill and helps to problem solve for future episodes. While today is not a depressive episode (after all, it's just one day), I am feeling a little blue so some self-care and Chinese food are definitely in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment